STA Safety Award for Teachers
Who is it for?
If you’re a swimming teacher, aqua aerobic instructor or school teacher and looking for a qualification that will allow you to provide safety cover for swimming sessions, this is the qualification for you!
The STA Safety Award for Teachers qualification is designed to train learners in pool rescue and CPR techniques in order to deal with poolside emergencies in accordance with the National Occupational Standards and Managing Health and Safety in Swimming Pools and British Standard BS EN 15288 Part 2, Safety Requirements for Operations.
What will I learn?
On the course, you’ll learn basic rescue, first aid and resuscitation skills.
Created by STA’s lifesaving experts, providing you with quality training
Training is in accordance with HSE publication Managing Health and Safety in Swimming Pools and British Standard BS EN 15288 Part 2, Safety Requirements for Operations
Regulated by Ofqual and Qualifications Wales
Will give you the confidence and knowledge to deal with an emergency that may occur during swimming lessons.
- Understand the Pool Safety Operating Procedures
- Basic life support in a swimming pool environment
- Basic rescue skills in a swimming pool environment
- Responding to a swimming pool emergency situation
- Understand the importance of recording, reporting and analysing swimming pool emergency situations
Support & Delivery
All students recieve their learning materials,comprising of manuals, workbooks, and their student guide on day 1 of the course
Duration & Course Structure
This is a 1 day course
This qualification is tutor assessed through the completion of a portfolio and practical demonstrations. The portfolio is to be completed independently by each learner, with the tutor acting as the invigilator. Any incorrect portfolio answers will be checked orally by the course tutor, through the use of supplementary questioning. The qualification is assessed as set out below:
- Continual assessment by the course tutor.
- Completion of the portfolio and worksheets to the satisfaction of the course tutor.
- Demonstrating the ability to carry out various defined rescue activities in a safe, effective and prompt manner.
- Demonstrating CPR and the preparatory actions and aftercare.
- Students must be 14 years of age or older.
- Be able to recover an object from the deepest part of the pool.
- Be able to swim 25 metres (candidates who cannot swim 25 metres must be able to demonstrate the ability to wade, and effect a rescue, in a pool with a depth no greater than chest depth.
*£100 for the first 5 bookings
£120 there after and includes all course materials and qualification registration
*You will be required to pay £120 at checkout and you will be refunded £20 if you are a qualifyng Learner
The STA Safety Award for Teachers qualification is a stand alone qualification. The next step would be to become an STA Pool Emergency Responder or STA Pool Lifeguard and further an STA Lifesaving Tutor. Often swimming teachers will progress their career within the leisure industry by qualifying as a teacher in another discipline like aqua aerobics or coaching or becoming pool lifeguard, gym instructor, or duty manager at pools that range from a single pool up to a large leisure type pool.
National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ)
National Pool Lifeguard Trainer Assessor (NPLQTA)